The Voices are at it again. One's saying "I need my coffee"...so I've gotta run 🙂
Much goin’ on right now, so the Voices are hollering and competing for attention 🙂
1. My friend Michael Newnham has relaunched with a super-moderated site which is a good direction and evolution for him and the Community there. It’s very difficult to have it be the “old” PhoenixPreacher with a “new” PhoenixPreacher. The Calvary Chapel Pastors and the dynamic of the PhoenixPreacher 2.0 (the new version is really a totally new OS or a 3.0) was one Trigger after another after another….for some. Bob Grenier pretty much made the decision easier for Michael by his recent intimidation. It has worked in silencing Michael and others regarding Bob’s issues…a tactic that has served ‘ol Bob well over the years. Bob, you don’t have to sue Michael, Grendal, Reuben and the others now…your tough-guy act worked on them. They’re scared to get sued. Unfortunately for you, I’m not the least bit intimidated and welcome the fight and the opportunity to take the issue to the National Stage, etc. If you want a fight…bring it my way and quit picking on weaker folks you coward.
Michael’s new blog is here: http://www.michaelnewnham.com
I’ve asked to stay banned and I won’t try to participate. Michael and I have amicably parted ways on that front, but remain friends. His vision for an online Community is his path and I wish him and the others well and there’s no sense in trying to make a square peg fit through a round hole.
2. Harvest Crusade woohoo! Greg Laurie seems to be a decent guy…no scandals or abuses dogging him, etc. While I think the massive amount of time, money and energy could be better used than to entertain the large crowds of Already Christians or Christians who will “rededicate” could be better used to target folks who really have never heard the Gospel and/or to feed folks, clothe folks etc in this terrible economy…it’s still a net positive I guess. Good for morale and while the vast majority who attend/watch are probably already saved…I’m sure God uses the effort as a means to save some. One soul is worth it I guess…though I think it’s taken on a Status thing and become an Idol-maker in that Laurie is jockeying to be the next Billy Graham and is becoming quite the Celebrity Pastor.
I don’t think real Revival will happen at a televised well-coordinated Event at a Stadium…I think it’ll happen outside the planned/orchestrated contrived clutches of men. But, who knows…maybe we can force it if we just perform well enough…
3. Remember “Hope and Change!” and “Change We Can Believe In!” and “We will be the most Transparent Administration in History!” and “We will set a new tone of Bipartisanship in Washington DC!” etc? Yah, seems like a long time ago, doesn’t it? Buy the Steak, not the Sizzle. Unfortunately, there’s really nothing we can do to avoid the pain that must come from a Debt-driven Crisis. If Romney/Ryan win…they’ll be faced with the decision to kick the can down the road and let Ben Bernanke and the League of Extraordinary Banksters print more and more money and Debt us into oblivion…avoiding maximum pain for another few years…or they’ll have to make real Cuts in Spending and real increases in Revenue…and Romney will be a One-Termer. To my Fiscally Conservative friends out there…be careful what you wish for…Austerity and Fiscal Responsibility means we’ve actually got to go through a Deflationary Depression of some form and either destroy the Debt and/or pay it off. Too bad we can’t just print more and more fake money and take on more and more Debt to infinity…that would be a great option…in Financial Fairy Tale Land. But, maybe the Laws of Economics no longer apply and it’s a New Paradigm…ya, right. Debt doesn’t matter…until it does.
4. I’ve had haunting memories lately of Pastor Bob Grenier of Calvary Chapel Visalia walking around our house naked in front of me and my brother, a habit he repeated often…that and of him making us shower naked with him in a small one-man shower. While I don’t recall being touched in a sexual manner…the memories are quite disturbing in that Paul, Bob’s blood son and 10 years younger than me, accuses him of molestation…that and the fact Jerry Sandusky had a habit of showering with young boys. Dads, Step-Dads, Pastors…don’t walk around exposing your genitals to your kids on a regular basis…and don’t shower naked with them in close quarters…it’s weird and it’s creepy…and if you are accused by your blood son of molestation…it provides a whole new level of creepy and is now another scar on me and infuriates me that Bob continues to get away with this stuff and is still a Pastor and Police Chaplain and in a Position of Trust in our Society. But, hey, it’s all “in the past” and “nothing can be done now” and “leave it to the Lord!” and “Get a life!” etc. Thanks Chuck, thanks Greg and Sue Dowds, thanks Calvary Chapel! Praise the Lord! I feel so blessed…not.
5. It’s funny how Calvary Chapel Pastors often claim and example special Moses/Prophet/Apostle status on one hand when it comes to their sheep questioning finances, sharing authority and being humble, approachable and correctable…yet claim “no responsibility” and “no control” etc etc when it comes to dealing with other “Apostles” in the Camp who go off the rails. Very selective “Apostle” status. “Apostle” when it works for you…not an Apostle when it comes to Church Discipline…then “no speaka English!” and “we’re all independent!” etc etc.
6. The “new” Calvary Chapel Association sure is looking a lot like the old iteration so far. Same Stone Wall as before. I left a message with Damian Kyle and with Don McClure…the “new” Regional Guy and the head of the Calvary Chapel “Association”…no return phone calls. Not even a “Silence, I keel you!”…just a giant CC Stone Wall, which is the “old” M.O. So far, nothing “new” about it…just a more fancy Appearance of Accountability.
7. The Dodgers are the Yankees of the National League. What Recession/Depression? Yikes. At the current trajectory…hot dogs at Dodger Stadium will be $500 a piece by 2050, and single-game tickets for a family of four will be $10,000.
8. Too bad the USADA wasn’t in charge of Church Discipline in Calvary Chapel. Unfortunately for Lance Armstrong…he’s not an “affiliated” Calvary Chapel Pastor…or he’d be in the clear, no problemo. Accountability is for suckers!
9. Apple’s stock is approaching $700 a share. Apple has more money hoarded up than any Corporation in the history of business. Tell me why they need to employ 400,000 Chinese workers at slave wages to build iPhones and iPads and then ship them back to the US and sell them to us at Wal-Mart? Why can’t they build the iPhone/iPad factory here in the US and pay living wages? It can’t be that they can’t afford it…
10. Fathers: If your kids beg you to spend time with them and play with them longer…if they practically jump out of the house and sprint to you when you come home…if they feel the freedom to express themselves to you honestly (even if it is sometimes rebellious or naughty, but is honest and frank)…and if they look forward to the time you spend together…you’re doing something right. If your kids are happier when you’re off on a “ministry” vacation err, trip or off at a church meeting etc because they can’t stand you and live in fear of you…you’ve got a problem. My suggestion is repent early and often…or you’ll reap what you sow….though the hard-core jerks out there could care less (until they face judgment). For me, my relationship with my kids is life itself. What an empty lie to sacrifice one’s children at the altar of Faux Ministry. Our number one priority, our number one “ministry” as Fathers…is our own children. Don’t be fooled into believing otherwise.